Quik on Performa 6360 (Powermac 6300/160)

Hi, I'm trying to get a Performa 6360 to boot woody using quik, rather than its
current bootx setup.  After I alter the OF settings to boot directly using quik,
then reboot, I get the following message (without the ---s):

---
can't OPEN:
---

then after a reboot, it gets a bit more verbose:

---
Second-stage QUIK loader
boot: ata/ATA-Disk@0:7/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 root=/dev/hda7
Starting at 0
no active packageopening display /valkyrie@F1000000DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF0070

Open Firmware, 2.0
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 >
---

I'm using 'kbd' as the input-device and 'ttya' as the output-device.  load-base
has been set to '100000' in accordance with the collective wisdom of the
internet, though it makes no difference.  The boot-device is set to
'ata/ATA-Disk@0:0', and the boot-file is
'ata/ATA-Disk@0:7/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda7', as recommended by
http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/350.html
Has anyone here had this problem or similar, or know what I might try to fix it?

Thanks, Ed.