Re: pbg4 modem wakup

On  28 Dec, this message from P Prince echoed through cyberspace:
>> I have read in the archives, that the modem of the pbg4 (titanium 1st
>> generation) needs some time to wake up. So I know, that some programs can
>> not detect the modem imediateley. But I am completely unable to wakeup my
>> modem and I did not find any messages of somebody who sucessfully used his
>> modem. I tried the following things:
[snip]

> Also, check your kernel configuration.  The 1st run TiG4 does have a hardware
> modem.  Perhaps Mac serial support is required?  I don't think setserial is
> needed, but if it is, it certainly doesn't take standard x86 values.  My modem
> is on IRQ 53.

Yes, the modem needs time after the serial port has been opened, since
the modem is powered off as long as nobody has /dev/ttyS0 open. But
definitely, starting minicom on /dev/ttyS0 and just waiting for some
time (a few secs) should be OK; after that, the modem should respond to
the usual at commands (try atiX, where X=0...9).

First thing, check your kernel logs. Here is what my first-gen PBG4
reports:

macserial: i2c-modem detected, id: 1
PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
tty00 at 0xc9902020 (irq = 22) is a Z8530 ESCC (internal modem)
tty01 at 0xc9909000 (irq = 23) is a Z8530 ESCC (IrDA)

You definitely should get the same IRQ values; but IO port may be
different depending on hardwre config and kernel version.

If you don't get the above, make sure macserial is loaded (and don't
compie standard serial into your kernel), and try again.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |