Booting into Linux on OldWorld Mac

The saga continues....

Machine: Performa 6400/180, Open Firmware version 2.0

I've got the Debian base distribution installed.  After getting my hands on
Boot Variables, reading all the docs I could find, coming up with variations on
what the docs said (since the values given didn't work), and trying about 20
different combinations, I've managed to get to an Open Firmware prompt!

Here's the wall I'm running into: OF keeps telling me "CLAIM failed" when I try
entering "BOOT".  "Linux" gets "linux, unknown word".  Right before the prompt,
the OF screen says:

boot ata/ATA-Disk@0:5/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac root=/dev/hda5
can't OPEN

The string after "boot" is what I have in the "boot-file" field of Boot
Variables.  My boot-device is "ata/ATA-Disk@0:0".  /target/etc/quik.conf
says "image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac" and "root=/dev/hda5".  (hda4 is swap;
the first three partitions are the Apple partition map and the ATA drivers.)

I've tried a variety of variations on the boot-file entry: deleting the "root"
statement, changing the boot-command from "boot" to "Linux", and
adding "/target" to the beginning of the paths.  I've been doing it
incrementally, only changing one thing at a time.

Sorry for being so windy, but it's been two weeks and I'm so close!  :)  Does
anyone have any ideas?

Thanks once again,

Mike