Re: 2.4.x kernel crashing

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 15:34, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, accepting for the moment that when the kernel dies, I can't read the
> console to find out what went wrong, what else can I do to figure out what's
> wrong? Which kernel or other system logs would tell me?

/var/log/kern.log, but as it seems to be a panic (the kernel would keep
running after an oops), there probably won't be anything there. You'd
have to use a serial console or something.

> I do know that for some reason, heavy disk activity kills the kernel. I run
> anacron, and I know that after a few days of not being on, my computer runs a
> bunch of tasks in the background. I think that it's the "locate" database
> update that could be the culprit. But then, how would I know for sure?

You can be sure that it's not any userspace program's fault. :) The
kernel dying is either a kernel bug or a hardware fault.