Re: OT: Darwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:59:57AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:36:53AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti
> >
> > they did NOT use the bsd kernel. that is a myth propagated by slashdot mostly.
>
> 	Funny that I got it not from /. but from MkLinux, OSF, the OpenStep community
> and NeXT.

well its wrong.  they use bsd userland, stuff like find, cp, ls, mv et
al.  NOT the kernel.  the BSD kernel is monolithic and in no way would
fit into a mach setup.

> 	Then what they used?  The whole point was not creating their own kernel, nor
> compiler -- just the ObjC classes.

well they did create thier own kernel, using the mach package as a
starting point.  the only bsd there is a little bit of bastardized and
ruined userland stuff, not kernel land stuff.

> 	That I have no experience of.  But given NetBSD's age and scope I can at least
> doubt.

well there ya go, just because netbsd is nice on i386 means nothing on
powerpc.  porting brings instability, and each port has to mature on
its own.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/