Re: RaiserFS PPC status

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 02:15:56PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> "David N. Welton" wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> writes:
> >
> > > That would make sense, since they do all the Linux XFS developemnt
> > > on ia32 and ia64 boxes!  At least they did when I worked in that
> > > group.  But XFS is a very mature piece of code in general compared
> > > to ReiserFS, which is much newer piece of code.  Maybe one day I'll
> > > have a chance to do a performance analysis between the two.  They
> > > have different internal designs.
> >
> > http://bulma.lug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=626
> >
> > It looks kind of simplistic, but I've also heard anectdotal evidence
> > that XFS is quite fast (and performs faster while being more stable
> > than Reiserfs).
>
> Yeah, anecdotal evidence is worth about what you pay for it ~:^).
> But this is a tad interesting, but obviously flawed.  One rule of
> benchmarking is that if your results don't match what common sense
> tells you, then you need to figure out what is going wrong.  Ext2fs
> shouldn't be faster than reiserfs, especially if it is in one test
> but not in another.  The results should also be much more
> reproduceable.  The fact that copying a multi-megabyte file takes 20
> seconds the first time and 60 seconds the next time, and 30 seconds
> the next time, etc., that's not giving you decent data.  Statistics
> guys have a word for that, but I don't know what it is off hand.

 One reason the results weren't repeatable might be that they didn't mkfs a
new FS before every run.  If they didn't do that, then the block allocation
algorithms would be seeing different free lists, and thus would be doing
different things each time.  If that's the case, it is interesting to note
that the filesystem gives such variability.  This could be due to
fragmentation.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y