Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 03:07:21PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:49:26PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > looking at the output of 'df', I decided to buy a new hard drive for my Pismo
> > soon. Now, given the size of hard drives today, It just doesn't seem to be
> > wise to use ext2 anymore. I also often read that Michel Daenzer, Jason
>
> why?  there is nothing wrong with ext2 and large filesystems.
> ReiserFS is primarily driven by uneducated hype right now.  its not
> very mature and its not terribly safe either.  the 2.4 kernel has had
> a nasty habit of corrupting reiserfs, and reiserfsck is totally
> worthless right now (it makes things worse not better).
>
> > Stewart, and other people are running their machine with ReiserFS.
>
> they are playing on the bleeding edge and probably have good backups.
>
> > I installed Debian from the official Potato-CD-Set and distupgraded to woody.
> > I've no idea though how to install Debian on a ReiserFS system on a blank
> > hard drive. I mean, I obviously cannot just use another set of boot floopies
> > like I could on a PC laptop.
> >
> > I'd appreciate some hints about how to get Debian successfully running on a
> > ReiserFS system. How do I have to set partitions best? What about a dual
> > install - MacOS and Linux? Does yaboot need an extra ext2 partition like lilo
> > does?
>
> it sounds to me like you want a more reliable filesystem, for this
> purpose you do NOT want reiserfs yet.  i would stick with ext2 which
> is a very mature, stable and reliable filesystem NOW.  wait for
> Reiserfs to grow up a bit more.  you may actually be more interested
> in XFS in a bit then in reiserfs.  XFS actually makes more sense from
> the huge filesystem/disk size angle anyway.
>
> but don't buy into reiserfs solely on hype.  at least wait for it to
> have a fsck that actually works.  and no journalling fs does NOT mean
> `you never need fsck!'  that is a pure unadulterated lie^H^H^Hmyth.

Err, does not fsck just do what is already done when a reiserfs is being
mounted, without the mounting phase ?

That said, reiserfs is great when doing Xfree driver work, I didn't experience
any more loss of whole files since i got to it, admittedly on i386.

Now i guess i could have run ext2 in sync also to achieve the same result.

Friendly,

Sven Luther