Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:49:26PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> looking at the output of 'df', I decided to buy a new hard drive for my Pismo
> soon. Now, given the size of hard drives today, It just doesn't seem to be
> wise to use ext2 anymore. I also often read that Michel Daenzer, Jason

why?  there is nothing wrong with ext2 and large filesystems.
ReiserFS is primarily driven by uneducated hype right now.  its not
very mature and its not terribly safe either.  the 2.4 kernel has had
a nasty habit of corrupting reiserfs, and reiserfsck is totally
worthless right now (it makes things worse not better).

> Stewart, and other people are running their machine with ReiserFS.

they are playing on the bleeding edge and probably have good backups.

> I installed Debian from the official Potato-CD-Set and distupgraded to woody.
> I've no idea though how to install Debian on a ReiserFS system on a blank
> hard drive. I mean, I obviously cannot just use another set of boot floopies
> like I could on a PC laptop.
>
> I'd appreciate some hints about how to get Debian successfully running on a
> ReiserFS system. How do I have to set partitions best? What about a dual
> install - MacOS and Linux? Does yaboot need an extra ext2 partition like lilo
> does?

it sounds to me like you want a more reliable filesystem, for this
purpose you do NOT want reiserfs yet.  i would stick with ext2 which
is a very mature, stable and reliable filesystem NOW.  wait for
Reiserfs to grow up a bit more.  you may actually be more interested
in XFS in a bit then in reiserfs.  XFS actually makes more sense from
the huge filesystem/disk size angle anyway.

but don't buy into reiserfs solely on hype.  at least wait for it to
have a fsck that actually works.  and no journalling fs does NOT mean
`you never need fsck!'  that is a pure unadulterated lie^H^H^Hmyth.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/