Re: XFree86 on Wallstreet

I've put up mine at http://home.uchicago.edu/~obmontoy/XF86Config-4

Getting XFree4 running on my Wallstreet was non-trivial.  I originally
got it working in LinuxPPC 2000, compiling my own from ajoshi's
sources (search the linuxppc-user archives at
http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/linuxppc-user if you want); when I
switched to Debian Unstable I couldn't get it working, so I just
copied my whole /usr/X11R6 directory to my new /usr.  A recent apt-get
upgrade broke it again, but luckily I still had my old tarball and I
got it going again right away.  The interesting thing is that I've
done another apt-get upgrade this week, and I think I got new XFree
debs, but this time it is not broken.  I'm really not sure whether I'm
running my own Xfree or the Unstable debs---I think it's my own.

But one thing I've noticed is that my XFree86.0.log has a different
last line from the one you included: mine says

(II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Generic Video Card".
where yours says
> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "ATI Mach64 3D Rage Pro".

Which is presumably a result of the following from my XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"ati"
EndSection