Re: Success!! [was: BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor]

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 04:03:43AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 07:20:50PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > Why is quik setup to point to a symlink on initial install if it doesn't
> > support them?
>
> it hasn't been entirely clear that it didn't until recently.. it
> really should since its was derived from silo which supports symlinks
> fine.  unfortunatly quik is pretty stripped down and broken compared
> to silo...

Is there any active development on quik?

> > Now, to see if quik will work with MacOS installed... Future machines will
> > be MacOSless, but I have some machines that I depend on that have MacOS as
> > their linux boot loader... Including the firewall and IPsec gateway.
>
> why on earth would a firewall and ipsec gateway need macos?

Because of BootX.  I didn't get quik to work until just now, and I needed a
PPC/Linux box for those purposes.  That is only a 7200/120.  I haven't tried
quik on a 6500 or oldworld g3.  Also have this umax.

> > It would be cool to have (I still have a MacOS backup system) :( MacOS on
> > the system with BootX, and in the linux init scripts, rerun the lines above.
> > To get to MacOS, just reset boot-device, and up comes MacOS.  BootX back to
> > linux, and you have a seemingly MacOSless system, quik restarts and
> > everything.
>
> its not nearly that complicated.  you can have quik execute forth
> words, an old example (that i am not certain actually works) is:
>
> image=$bye
> 	label=macos
>
> this may work as well
>
> image=$boot /AAPL,ROM
> 	label=macos
>
> on some machines the MacOSROM will reset the nvram though....  if
> macos leaves the nvram alone you won't ever need bootx.

Well, if my versions (8.0 & 8.5) of MacOS don't touch the nvram, then you're
right.  I know for sure that the 7200's ROM will reset the nvram. Need to test
6500 and g3.

If I get my origional idea to work, in MacOS you won't know about linux
(except for bootx prompt) and in linux you won't know MacOS is even
there (except for the partition map).

Mike