Re: Success!! [was: BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor]

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 07:20:50PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> With debian2.2r3 kerenel and custom kernel.
>
> nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
> nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0"
> #edit link instead of /etc/quik.conf
> ln -f /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 /boot/vmlinux
>
> Changes to /etc/quik.conf:
> append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,38400n8"
> #image=/vmlinux
> image=/boot/vmlinux
>
> Why is quik setup to point to a symlink on initial install if it doesn't
> support them?

it hasn't been entirely clear that it didn't until recently.. it
really should since its was derived from silo which supports symlinks
fine.  unfortunatly quik is pretty stripped down and broken compared
to silo...

> Now, to see if quik will work with MacOS installed... Future machines will
> be MacOSless, but I have some machines that I depend on that have MacOS as
> their linux boot loader... Including the firewall and IPsec gateway.

why on earth would a firewall and ipsec gateway need macos?

> It would be cool to have (I still have a MacOS backup system) :( MacOS on
> the system with BootX, and in the linux init scripts, rerun the lines above.
> To get to MacOS, just reset boot-device, and up comes MacOS.  BootX back to
> linux, and you have a seemingly MacOSless system, quik restarts and
> everything.

its not nearly that complicated.  you can have quik execute forth
words, an old example (that i am not certain actually works) is:

image=$bye
	label=macos

this may work as well

image=$boot /AAPL,ROM
	label=macos

on some machines the MacOSROM will reset the nvram though....  if
macos leaves the nvram alone you won't ever need bootx.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/