Re: Yaboot is wonderful ...

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 07:55:53PM -0600, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> Hey,
>
> In the process of switching my whole setup from ext2 to reiser, I did
> a lot of repartitioning/rebooting. In the process I did a stupid thing
> with my bootstrap partition. I had originally made it huge, 50Mb. When
> moving to reiser, I need a small ext2 partition to hold my kernels, so
> I split my 50M bootstrap into a 1M hfs bootstrap, and a 49M ext2
> kernel partition. In the process I forgot to remake the hfs file-system,
> I just kept right on using the old one that had been
> truncated... until I tried to run ybin for the fourth time it and
> tried to access a disk sector that was off the partition. Instead of
> just calmly rebuilding the filesystem (with hformat) and then
> re-running ybin, I rebooted (duh).

ybin: for updates
mkofboot: for new clean bootloader installs.

mkofboot formats, ybin does not.

> Hello OF...
>
> After grabbing my potato boot CD, and booting into the installer. I
> finally calmed down, and realized all I needed was a *working* yaboot
> prompt. I rebooted, and when the yaboot prompt from the CD showed up
> it was just a simple hd:10, /vmlinux root=/dev/hda13 and I had my
> system back...

actually i am surprised that worked, manual kernel loading is rather
broken with potato's yaboot.  actually what i think really happened is
you loaded the CD's kernel with a argument of `root=/dev/hda13' not
the kernel on the disk (since yaboot in potato ignores that entirely
and uses the first image in the config regardless) in this case it
didn't matter but if you needed the kernel on the disk for whatever
reason it would have been a problem.

> Thank you Ben/Ethan. yaboot/ybin are wonderful...

thanks.

for the above reason i highly recommend all potato users upgrade thier
yaboot package to the one in unstable (version: 1.2.1-1.1.1-1).  as it
depends on no libraries it is 100% potato compatible and will install
on potato cleanly.  despite only being in `unstable'  the yaboot
package there is much more reliable then potato's.  (the rules for
updates to stable simply forbid it from going in).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/