Re: Working configuration files needed for X 4.0.3 (FireWire iBook) and linux-kernel-source 2.4.4-1 (FireWire iBook, G4 Cube)

Hi,

On 08 May 2001 01:45:57 -0400, Jeremy Radlow wrote:

> I now have a configuration file for X that sort of works, using the fbdev
> device.  But I can't get any color depth more than 8bpp to work.  And also,
> the colors are messed up at 8bpp...
>
> I got some information elsewhere
> (http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/olh_ppc_framebuffer.html)
> which talks about how to change the color depth, but it apparently
> doesn't work.  I gave my kernel the following parameter:
>
>     video=aty128fb:vmode:10:cmode:16
>
> But when I tried to use fbset to set the depth to 16, it complained:
>
>     ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
>
> Unfortunately, using the r128 driver is not an option, as it consistently
> locks up the notebook (not just X, but the entire OS).  Any suggestions?

As mentioned in the install guide that is in the same directory as the
XF86Config you got, you need to have frame buffer correctly configured
(aty128fb at 8 bpp is alright), and play a bit with the Video card
options in the Device section of XF86Config.

Hope this helps

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net