Re: problem booting hard disk after floppy/NFS install on a 7200/90

Ethan Benson wrote:

> i think quik's symlink code is quite unreliable, as a friend of mine
> always had his 7200 fail to boot if quik was pointed at a
> /boot/vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X symlink.  /boot is on the root
> filesystem, not a separate partition, i could not concieve of why this
> configuration kept failing to boot so i had him change image= from
> /boot/vmlinux to /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X and it worked correctly.

There used to be a problem with symlinks from / (I forget whether it liked links to have a leading / or not, e.g. /zip -> /zip/boot worked but -> zip/boot didn't or vice versa).  I sent a patch to fix that before the potato release.  How long ago did you have this problem?

Check out (archive) bug #55039.  I haven't touched the quik source since then though. :-)

> btw, can you please toss a \n in your message every once in a while?
> like say every 72 characters.  thanks ;-)

Sorry about that.  Netscape Mail is sometimes good about that, sometimes not. :-(

-Adam P.