Re: problem booting hard disk after floppy/NFS install on a 7200/90

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 06:45:35PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> I think it does support symlinks, there's a lot of code in there dedicated to resolving them, and as evidence, I have /boot -> /zip/boot and /etc/quik.conf -> /zip/etc/quik.conf and it works fine.  You just have to have the kernel and first/second.b and quik.conf on the same partition when all of the symlinks are resolved.  (I debugged this about a year ago, untangling the symlink-following logic was quite a chore!)>

i think quik's symlink code is quite unreliable, as a friend of mine
always had his 7200 fail to boot if quik was pointed at a
/boot/vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X symlink.  /boot is on the root
filesystem, not a separate partition, i could not concieve of why this
configuration kept failing to boot so i had him change image= from
/boot/vmlinux to /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X and it worked correctly.

> It sounds like the /vmlinux symlink is broken, is this the case for 2.2R3 images?  If so, it's a boot-floppies bug...

possibly but i doubt it. i think its quik's symlink code is
unreliable.  but i have no oldworld hardware to play with so..

btw, can you please toss a \n in your message every once in a while?
like say every 72 characters.  thanks ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/