Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorld)

> yup thats what i thought.  i wonder why symlinks for in some cases but
> not others...  could it be the 2.2 vs 2.0 ext2 formats?  i somewhat
> doubt it since the changes shouldn't affect things like symlinks...

I had always told it to forget about 2.0 compatibility, but I re-initialized
an unused partition with 2.0 compatibility, and installed 2.2r3 on it, and
it gave the same message when trying to boot it with the symlink: unknown
image format error. Probably quik as Dan says. The symlink does work fine
with yaboot (on the iMac).

>> Here's the device tree for my 9500:
>
> yes ive seen this before.  does ofpath work on this?  correctly?

This was ofpath v0.6:

ofpath /dev/sdb7 returns /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@6:7 , which seems right.
For the internal drive, ofpath /dev/sda3 returns /bandit/gc/mesh/sd@6:3 .

>> Here's the device tree and other info for the PowerBase:
>
> i think ofpath in ybin 1.1 should support this, can you check?

On the PowerBase, ofpath 0.6 returns
This machine is not supported: AAPL,e407MacRISC

I downloaded 0.8 included in ybin 1.1, and voila!
ofpath /dev/sdb7 returns /bandit/ohare/mesh/sd@6:7
ofpath /dev/sda4 returns /bandit/ohare/mesh/sd@2:4
   (my other scsi disk is indeed at scsi address 2)
ofpath /dev/hda4 returns /bandit/ohare/ATA/ATA-Disk@0:4

It all seems reasonable.

--

Chris Tillman