Re: problem booting hard disk after floppy/NFS install on a 7200/90

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:55:59PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 06:45:35PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > I think it does support symlinks, there's a lot of code in there dedicated to resolving them, and as evidence, I have /boot -> /zip/boot and /etc/quik.conf -> /zip/etc/quik.conf and it works fine.  You just have to have the kernel and first/second.b and quik.conf on the same partition when all of the symlinks are resolved.  (I debugged this about a year ago, untangling the symlink-following logic was quite a chore!)>
>
> i think quik's symlink code is quite unreliable, as a friend of mine
> always had his 7200 fail to boot if quik was pointed at a
> /boot/vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X symlink.  /boot is on the root
> filesystem, not a separate partition, i could not concieve of why this
> configuration kept failing to boot so i had him change image= from
> /boot/vmlinux to /boot/vmlinux-2.2.1X and it worked correctly.
>
> > It sounds like the /vmlinux symlink is broken, is this the case for 2.2R3 images?  If so, it's a boot-floppies bug...
>
> possibly but i doubt it. i think its quik's symlink code is
> unreliable.  but i have no oldworld hardware to play with so..

 realpath(3) does all symlink following in all path components.
(readlink -f uses it, in case you want to play with it to see how it works.
See readlink(1).)

 Someone should fix quik, if it can be done just by using realpath().

 Note that the libc info page omits realpath.  This sucks.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y