Re: mirrormagic on powerpc

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:37:05PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Is it?  I've never done that before.  Do I just have to have to download the
> .dsc and .changes files to my computer after building for signing?  I have
> to use chroot to fulfil build-dependencies, right?  What's the procedure for
> this?
>
> Besides, chroot doesn't work for me on voltaire:
>
> dparsons@voltaire:~$ mkdir mirroot
> dparsons@voltaire:~$ /usr/sbin/chroot ~/mirroot/ apt-get install
> libsdl-image1.2-dev
> /usr/sbin/chroot: cannot change root directory to /home/dparsons/mirroot/:
> Operation not permitted
>
> Or maybe I'm using it wrong?

Gotta be root to use chroot.

Besides, you can't use chroot that way.  There's nothing in the chroot
if you do that - no apt, for instance.

> Are you sure that's what voltaire is for?  I certainly don't have root
> access to voltaire to install the sdl libraries myself!

Voltaire is a public access machine.  You can't install packages, and
you can't chroot randomly; you're supposed to ask debian-admin for
them.  You can debug problems and rebuild packages with fakeroot,
however, which is what I meant by "what it is for".

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team