Re: Sonnet Tempo ATA card: card and disks recognized, but not found by installer

On  28 Nov, this message from Bob Deblier echoed through cyberspace:
> I've been experimenting with trying to install debian on a 7300/166 equipped with a
> Sonnet Tempo ATA card. Problem is that the kernel (I've tried up to
> several of the 2.4 series, up to 2.4.16) seems to recognize the
> hardware (as ide2 and ide3) and the attached disks (as hde and hdf),
> but the debian installer insists that there are no disks available.
>
> Any advice on how to proceed?

I suppose you're trying to instal with your custom kernel; in that case,
be sure to enable 'Boot offboard chipset first' suport under the IDE
configuration. This makes your IDE ports become ide0 and ide1 instead of
2&3.

What I suspect here is that the debian installer doesn't have the device
nodes for accessing these disks. You can verify that by dropping into a
shell while in the installer, and verifying that /dev/hde* and /dev/hdf*
nodes are present (or absent).

And tell your mailer to wrap lines at 72 characters, please.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |