Re: X on the new TiBooks

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 08:36:03PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> I've got X semi-working on my new TiBook using the fb driver, but the
> colourmap is really screwed up.  I'm working on extracting the Radeon M6

Sounds like about where I am.  Wierd thing is the colourmap was fine
when using the (obviously very broken in other ways) 1172x864
configuration.  As I said in my previous e-mail, it looks kind of like
the sort of colour scheme you oftne get if you force something to
display on a display with far fewer colours than it was designed to cope
with.  Looking at a stripped down session with twm the effect for things
not in black and white is almost reverse video.

> support out of XFree86's CVS tree, but it's slow going so far (their
> changelog leaves alot to be desired in terms of helpfulness).  If I get
> anything soon, I'll send it to you to test.  In the meantime, would you

Please.

> like my XF86Config-4?  It's very ugly, but X does work.

I suspect it's not going to be too different to what I've got.  I could
take a look and start trying to do a contrast & compare with the other
configurations.

I'd been going with the framebuffer stuff since it seems safer and half
my use of X is as a mechanism for switching so I'm not particularly
concerned about performance.

> Oh, also, I've had a lockup once or twice while testing X, but it was
> always after I had killed the Xserver a few times and was working on the
> console again.  So far, no concrete way of reproducing that behaviour...

I've had one of those and a very hard lock where I lost the network too.
Something tells me that it could be related to the power management but
I can't think of anything concrete I'm basing that on.