X on the new TiBooks

I've been trying to get my new TiBook set up for Debian.  So far (thanks
to the guide Branden provided) the only real sticking point is X.  Has
anyone got any suggestions on how to get the server running?

Rather than try building and installing the CVS X server I've been
attempting to use the framebuffer X server together with a current
rsynced copy of benh's kernel.  With any actual resolution an unviewable
image is produced (full screen 1152x768 appears not to be supported by
the framebuffer device).  With 1152x864 X displays a recognisable image but
seriously distorted and with areas of black on the screen.

I don't seem to have seen any discussion of this on this list since the
initial thread last week - is there anywhere else I should be looking?