Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

> Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > What did you do in mac-fdisk to get a kernel panic? What kernel
> > version did you use?
>
> This has been covered pretty comprehensively in the thread. I was
> using the "current" woody debian-ppc distribution at 8/Nov/01.

The kernel version hasn't been covered (as in: I've never used a
distribution kernel, ever, and current as of Nov. 8 might be replaced by
something else now).

I've experimented with mac-fdisk a bit and cannot reproduce this problem
on my Lombard (even taking out all the sleep()s and sync()s). I can only
test this with a ZIP disk. Haven't tried with the ZIP mounted while poking
in the partition table yet. That's been with 2.2.18pre18, 2.4.9 and 2.4.14
(all rsync'ed from BenH's tree at various times in the past).

Right now I'm inclined to do away with the global sync() in favor of a
ioctl(fd, BLKFLSBUF), hoping that'll reduce the amount of data to be
synced and avoiding the race. If that won't help I'm out of ideas.

	Michael