Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

> > Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > > What did you do in mac-fdisk to get a kernel panic? What kernel
> > > version did you use?
> >
> > This has been covered pretty comprehensively in the thread. I was
> > using the "current" woody debian-ppc distribution at 8/Nov/01.
>
> The kernel version hasn't been covered (as in: I've never used a
> distribution kernel, ever, and current as of Nov. 8 might be replaced
> by something else now).

I still have the kernel.  If I boot to MacOSX and
  "cat linux | strings | grep version"
then the output starts:

Linux version 2.2.19-pmac (root@voltare) (gcc version 2.95.4 20010810
Debian prerelease)) #1 Sun Oct 21 13:45:25 EDT 2001

> I've experimented with mac-fdisk a bit and cannot reproduce this
> problem on my Lombard (even taking out all the sleep()s and sync()s).

I don't know I described this completely, but the sequence is: open
mac-fdisk, delete placeholder partition, create various linux
partitions, press "w" to write your partition, then press "q" to quit,
and then you get the kernel panic message.

> I can only test this with a ZIP disk. Haven't tried with the ZIP
> mounted while poking in the partition table yet.

Have you tried partitioning the disk with the Apple Drive Tool first?
Maybe the 8 strange MacOS partitions have something to do witth it?
At any rate, I'm extremely rteluctant to mess with mine any further,
having ruined it all twice.

Hope this helps
Gordon