xsane-0.78 - problem?

Hello all!

I installed xsane-0.878 from woody, Hardware is G4, scanner UMAX 2100U.
I'm running kernel 2.4.14-ben0, which shows this type of scanner in
/usb/scanner.h . It seems to be recognized during boot-time as I can
find the scanner-device-id of my printer with dmesg head.
I read about people who got with slight adaptation of UMAX 1220U
driver (written originally by Paul Mackerras) to go to work with
UMAX 2000U, for instance.

So I haven't installed that 1220u driver in the moment.

When I try to evoke xsane it quits immediately after accepting the
licence with:
  Direct Memory Access Error
(originally "Speicherzugriffsfehler")

So my questions are:

Where does that error come from, or why does it happen?
Does xsane work on PPC with USB-scanners in general.
If so, and my scanner-hardware is the problem, can anybody share his
experiences regarding another type of scanner (a few Epson-USB-types seem
to work perfect in general - do they work the same way with PPC) for
not to buy the second wrong scanner-type (The old one was from my former
MacOS-times, so it hurts a little less ;-)).

Thanks for any help and reply

--

M.f.G.

Georg Koss