Re: Supported models

If the real goal is finding out if the machine you bought can install and
run Debian, you should make that task really simple.

Something is the line of using a list of machines given by what they show
under the Apple System Profiler (running on the OS pre-installed on the
machine) associated with a status value (OK/NOT SUPPORTED/IN PROGRESS) would
be really neat.

For example, my desk machine shows:

Machine ID:   406
Model Number: Power Mac G4 Cube

These two values are just enough to describe any particular model that Apple
manufactured as their software relies on them, and they are easily reachable
by any Mac user (ASP is pre-installed on both X and 9).

With these two values given in your list and a status associated with them,
the task of finding out if Debian can be installed becomes trivial. So far,
all the proposed schemes I have seen in this thread fail short to give a
unique name to multiple revisions of various models.

For those of you purists who don't even want to boot once under MacOS 9/X to
run ASP and look at these two values to find out if your machine is
supported, you probably don't even need the list anyway.

LdS