Re: Mundane question about memory needed

Changing the VM settings in MacOS will have no effect when you boot up the
7600 in linux. You will definatelly need more ram to run X comfortably but
in lieu of more ram you should probably make a swap partition of about
50mb.  As for your kernel panic I would be very supprised if it had
anything to do with the amount of memory in your sytem. I am guessing that
it has to with your X configuration && the fb drivers compiled or not
compiled into your kernel or not loading at boot.  Not sure what fb driver
the 7600 should use off hand though.

Tom Hallaran
Informatics
Washington University Genome Sequencing Center
314-286-1114
thallara@watson.wustl.edu