Mundane question about memory needed

Hola Amigos,

I am a Linux newbie, and I just managed to get the Debian 2.2 R3 booted up on my PowerMac 7600/120. Tried to do 'startx' and the kernel paniced. I loaded the Gnome package on the initial installation.

Before I go any further in troubleshooting, I should mention I only have 16 MB RAM, and selected 16 MB virtual ram in the Mac control panel. Would it crash for not enough RAM? I'm going to buy more anyway, but I was curious if that could be the cause right there, and not fiddle with the software until I do get the RAM.

Mike Yukish
Head, Manufacturing Product & Process Design Department
Applied Research Lab/Penn State University
may106@psu.edu
(814) 863-7143