insomniac iBook2

pmud (0.7-6) on my iBook2 (Sid) is indecisive, as of an apt-get
upgrade this week.  When I close the lid it spins down, lights up the
snoozelight, pauses, then spins up again and turns off the
snoozelight, then it snoozes again then it wakes up again, continuing
this cycle until the battery dies (as it happened yesterday).

If I run "snooze" it stays asleep until I close the lid, then it
starts again, and does the cycle as above.

Also, both before this problem and during it, the backlight has never
shut off for me upon snooze, unless it is already set to the lowest
level.  At intermediate levels it actually gets brighter when I close
the lid.  (I can control the backlight with the function keys or
fblevel, though).

Are these known problems?  Are there known solutions?  Or have I been
careless?