Re: CUPS and Netscape Communicator

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 05:32:07PM +0200, Roland Wegmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it true, that Netscape is only available for the intel-architecture. I
> found this hint on the Debian Hompage with regard to potato. At the moment I
> have installed woody. I tried an apt-get install ..., but it failed. Apt-get
> couldn't find the package 'communicator-smotif-477'.

Communicator does work on powerpc.  However, since it is in non-free,
it is notoriously difficult to get it working in testing.  In this
case, it appears that i386 has advanced to -477, while powerpc is
stuck with -47 in sid.  Perhaps someone with more insight can explain
further.

I would recommend one of the free alternatives, such as galeon,
mozilla, or konqueror, all of which seem to be ok in testing.

> I ask you because I'm going to install CUPS and my manual says that the
> configuration interface needs Netscape.

That is incorrect.  It just needs a web browser.  I seem to recall
configuring cups with lynx in the past.

dave...