Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:14:39PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> It might be. On this good ol' PowerBook with a 400 Mhz G3, about a third
> of the frames are skipped or dropped. And as the software seems to be
> improving rather quickly in this area, the new iBooks might soon be well
> enough for smooth DVD playback.

Are there people actively working on this?  The mood I was getting was
that G3's weren't work the trouble.  I myself don't have much in the way
of PowerPC assembly brains, or video processing mojo.

> > Or should I just wait another 6 months for Apple to cycle the hardware
> > again?
>
> There will be even better models in a year and so on, so you could as
> well just let it be. ;)

Well, yeah, but I'm in the market for a laptop now.  The iBook looks
great to me unless there is no hope of realtime DVD playback under
Linux.

> For me it's now or never, I'll go for a new TiBook as soon as I have
> the money.

I can't justify $3000 for a laptop, personally.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somebody once asked me if I thought
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    sex was dirty.  I said, "It is if