G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

I read with interest the discussion of how there will "never" be good
DVD playback on iBooks under Linux.

However, this discussion predated the iBook 2001.

The new higher-end iBooks have:

* a 600 MHz G3
* a 100 MHz system bus

Most everything else looks to be the same as the iBook2 (same amount of
L2 cache, same video chipset and RAM).

The iBook 2001 appeals strongly to me over the TiBook because:

1) it's MUCH cheaper
2) there is a combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW option available for it!
   (It completely blows my mind that this isn't an option on the TiBook.)
3) it's smaller

However, I don't want to hear that I'm not going to be able to watch
DVD's in real time under Linux on even a 600 MHz G3.  That may be the
case, though.

How about it?  Is the speed increase enough to make a difference?  Or
should I just wait another 6 months for Apple to cycle the hardware
again?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;