XF86 wants a mouse file

Still trying  to get X running on my G4.
It still says it has no mouse file, and
it's right.  What's in /etc/X11/XF86Config
is:
Protocol "BusMouse"
Device   "/dev/mouse"

I changed BusMouse to IMPS/2, which, from
reading the lists I *think* is right (Apple
USB optical mouse), and X didn't object, but
it still says no mouse file, and it's right,
there IS no /dev/mouse.  Michael Schmitz
suggested I read up on "new input device
code", but I've been able to find nothing like
that.  Isn't there some file I can simply direct
XF86Config to that will work?  This is a new
install of stable, it seems like it shouldn't be
quite this tricky.  Can anybody give me an idea
here?  Thanks,
Mike