Re: Advice on a iBook ...

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:04:22AM -0700, CaRLoS mOGUeL wrote:
> Based on ...
>
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt
>
> Now my partition table is ...
>
> /dev/hda1 ...
> /dev/hda2 ...
> /dev/hda3 ...
> /dev/hda4 ...
> /dev/hda5 ...
> /dev/hda6 ...
> /dev/hda7 ...
> /dev/hda8  APPLE_Bootstrap bootstrap (800.0K)

i hope its actually Apple_Bootstrap, i believe OF is case sensitive.

> /dev/hda9  APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 swap      (100.0M)
> /dev/hda10 APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 /         (1001.3M)
> /dev/hda11 Apple_HFS       untitled2 (2.0G) // MacOS
> /dev/hda7 ...
>
> I installed first the MacOS side an then Debian 2.2r0,
> before restarting the Debian installation a opened a
> shell a edited the yaboot.conf file like this ...
>
> default=Linux
> boot=/dev/hda8
> macos=/dev/hda11
> device=hd:
> delay=20
> timeout=20
> install=/target/boot/yaboot
> magicboot=/target/etc/ofboot.b

when you upgrade to a newwer yaboot ( i highly reccomend the packages
at penguinppc for potato:
deb http://master.penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/debian/ potato main)

you must change install= to install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot and
magicboot to /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot (no .b)

then run `ybin' to update the bootstrap.

> /* After the firts reboot I changed the path to
> /boot/yaboot and /etc/ofboot.b without the /target */
>
> image=/vmlinux
>      label=Linux
>      root=/dev/hda10
>      append="video=atyfb:mode:800x600-8"
>      read-only
>      partition=10
>
> An use mkofboot -v -C /target/etc/yaboot.conf with no
> errors. Now I boot straight to the Linux side and if I
> keep the option key pushed it loads the graphical
> loader between MacOS and Debian, I tried to change the
> default OS to MacOS and choose Debian using the option
> key ... I changed the "default" line to "macos" and

thats wrong, see the man page, default only affects the default linux
kernel, you want to add defaultos=macos.

> "/dev/hda11" in the yaboot.conf with no success ...
> any other way ? (I run ybin after every modification
> in the yaboot.conf file).
>
> As a note ... everytime I boot into linux it said
> hd:8,\\:tbxi loading Kernel ... not a valid ELF image.

thats probably due to default= being wrong.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/