Re: yaboot-1.3.3, patch to seperate dhcp and tftp servers

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:47:34PM -0700, pjordan@whitehorse.blackwire.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to boot a cluster of G4's using yaboot
> and a tftp server, but since there were already two DHCP
> servers on the network I thought it best to leave off a
> third ;)
>
> Anyway, with the patch below my linux box can run just a plain
> old tftp server, and the other G4's
> can now boot from them, grabbing the yaboot, yaboot.conf
> kernel image and even a ramdisk image succefully,
> after giving the following command line on the OF prompt:
>
> boot enet:xx.xx.xx.xx,yaboot.debug

could you explain this a bit better?

what is xx.xx.xx.xx ? is it the ip address of the server, or the ip
address OF uses as a client?

i am also not clear as to how yaboot is supposed to handle this, does
it need to request all files with the enet:xx.xx.xx.xx,foo device
path?

the reason is your patch completly breaks ordinary netboot, and
furthermore ive come to the conclusion that the entire
parse_device_path() function in yaboot is crap and am throwing it
away.

anyone who can comment on how enet: is supposed to be used in more
detail then ive been able to find is welcome.

TIA

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/