Re: ppp mystery

On  18 Sep, this message from Bruce McIntyre echoed through cyberspace:
> Pinging anything aside from localhost results in 100% packet loss.

Have you looked at:

- 'ifconfig', to see whether you got an IP address on your ppp0
  interface?

- 'netstat -rn', to check whether you've got a default route set up
  through the ppp0 interface?

> pinging say, www.google.com and running netstat gave:
>
> Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
>
> The report was incomplete, and netstat needed to be killed.

That's netstat blocking on nameserver lookups. Use netstat -n (numeric)
to avoid that.

> Pinging a server
> listed in resolv.conf (a numeric address) resulted in netstat giving a
> full report (it goes on to report about unix domain sockets).

Keep in mind that DNS lookups may take time.

> I was stupid and did not think to pipe that output to a file. Switching to
> single user mode and back ( a desperate measure ) did not help, but cycling
> power fixed everything. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Without output of above commands, no....

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |