ppp mystery

Hello all,

Twice this has happened; after running pon, my modem negotiates a connection
with my provider as normal and the resolv.conf file is updated with what
look like correct nameserver addresses---at least they are familiar.

Pinging anything aside from localhost results in 100% packet loss.

Even ping -f does not light the modem `TD' light at all. The request does
not seem to get that far.

pinging say, www.google.com and running netstat gave:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State

The report was incomplete, and netstat needed to be killed. Pinging a server
listed in resolv.conf (a numeric address) resulted in netstat giving a
full report (it goes on to report about unix domain sockets).

I was stupid and did not think to pipe that output to a file. Switching to
single user mode and back ( a desperate measure ) did not help, but cycling
power fixed everything. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

--
From ( a frequently mystified ) Bruce McIntyre