vi problems, linux keycodes and yaboot questions

Hi all,

I have dist-upgraded to woody a second time, because the first time was a failure (I used "dpkg-reconfigure console-common" to change the keyboard layout. This way I got an unusable keyboard). This time I re-partitioned the IDE drive and then reinstalled the base system of potato 2.2r3. Then I added the following entries to "sources.list":

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main non-free

typed

apt-get  update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Now I can't use vi anymore. But I need it to modify "yaboot.conf" etc. When I type for example "vi sources.list" I got the message "vi: wrapper couldn't execute /usr/bin/vi nor /bin/elvis-tiny". What's wrong with vi?

Secondly, I want to change my keyboard layout from US to Swiss german (or at least German). On this maillist I heard a lot about linux keycodes. After my difficulties with "console common" I may ask you if linux keycodes are another way to adapt the keyboard? Are there any howto's or examples on this topic?

Thirdly, I have a semi installed yaboot. It means I can chose between Linux or MacOS using the option key on my Apple Pro Keyboard. When I start Linux, yaboot is called up (Welcome to yaboot 0.9). now i have read the handout "yaboot/ybin FAQ" of Eric Peden. There I found the hint that an exact yaboot installation (via ybin) needs a bootstrap partition of the type "Apple_Bootstrap" and further down he says that the bootstrap partition have to be the frist one. My partition tool (mac fdisk ??) shows the following partition table:

/dev/hda1   Apple_partition_map   Apple
/dev/hda2   Apple_Driver43   Macintosh
/dev/hda3   Apple_Driver43   Macintosh
/dev/hda4   Apple_Driver_ATA   Macintosh
/dev/hda5   Apple_Driver_ATA   Macintosh
/dev/hda6   Apple_FWDriver   Macintosh
/dev/hda7   Apple_Driver_IOkit   Macintosh
/dev/hda8   Apple_Patches   Patch Partition
/dev/hda9 Apple_HFS Linuxboot (I think this should be the place for yaboot, but I'm not sure)
/dev/hda10   Apple_HFS   System  (the place of MacOS 9.1)
/dev/hda11 Apple_HFS Daten (the place where I save all my stuff under MacOS)
/dev/hda12   Apple_UNIX_SVR2   swap  (my Linux swap partition)
/dev/hda13   Apple_UNIX_SVR2   root   (all my Debian stuff)
/dev/hda14   Apple_Free   Extra

Now my question: Have I to rename partition 9 from Apple_HFS to Apple_Bootstrap? What about "first partition" ( is 9 "first" enough)?

I would like to thank all those who could give me some advice in advance!

Roland Wegmann

Downloaden Sie MSN Explorer kostenlos unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp