Re: vi problems, linux keycodes and yaboot questions

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Roland Wegmann wrote:

> Now I can't use vi anymore. But I need it to modify "yaboot.conf" etc. When
> I type for example "vi sources.list" I got the message "vi: wrapper couldn't
> execute /usr/bin/vi nor /bin/elvis-tiny". What's wrong with vi?

Do you have nvi installed? If so, try running 'nvi' directly. Or maybe see
if you've got 'ae' or some other editor you could use.

> Thirdly, I have a semi installed yaboot. It means I can chose between Linux
> or MacOS using the option key on my Apple Pro Keyboard. When I start Linux,
> yaboot is called up (Welcome to yaboot 0.9). now i have read  the handout
> "yaboot/ybin FAQ" of Eric Peden. There I found the hint that an exact yaboot
> installation (via ybin) needs a bootstrap partition of the type
> "Apple_Bootstrap"  and further down he says that the bootstrap partition
> have to be the frist one. My partition tool (mac fdisk ??) shows the
> following partition table:

The partition's location doesn't matter. Remember, you don't have to deal
with the broken BIOS that x86's have, and all the ass-backwards
limitations of real mode, so it can be at the beginning or the end (on an
iBook I've been using, the Apple_Bootstrap partition is the last one on
the disk).

> Now my question: Have I to rename partition 9 from Apple_HFS to
> Apple_Bootstrap? What about "first partition" ( is 9 "first" enough)?

You don't. Just delete the partition, then create another one in its place
with the same geometry, but the proper type ID (Apple_Bootstrap) instead.
This won't cause any data loss, as mac-fdisk doesn't modify anything other
than the partition table. The name doesn't matter really (I usually just
use 'bootstrap' or 'linux_boot' as the name).

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN