Re: XFree86 update question

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > things easier in the long run. Plus we better hash this out now and come
> > > up with a few solutions for the transition. I just resent breaking
> > > backwards compatibility, that's all.
> >
> > Where exactly do we break backwards compatibility? A knowledgeable user
> > can still use ADB keycodes if he absolutely wants to for a reason I can't
> > imagine.
>
> By building kernel packages that have no old style ADB keyboard support
> anymore?

I still fail to see what that has to do with backwards compatibility. Nobody
is forced to use the Debian kernel; my impression is that most people build
their own kernels anyway.

What we are trying to achieve is to make an inevitable transition (ADB
keycodes will go away completely in 2.5 AFAIK) as smooth as possible for the
average user. The way we are doing it right now may not be perfect, and we
appreciate any help to improve it further.