Re: Boot scripts and Firmware Update 4.1.8

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:08:04PM +0900, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, thanks for the quick response and sorry for messing up
> the subject the first time.
>
> Ethan Benson writes:
>
> > reset your nvram.  i have full success reports from several people
> > with this firmware update.
>
> Sorry I can't add another success report.  I reset the NVRAM alright
> (by holding Command-Option-P-R at a cold start and letting it chime
> several times), but still no change.  Well, the screen goes black
> instead of grey.
>
> Then again, I probably don't want a boot selector at all, because this
> would allow anybody to start MacOS.  Now the machine boots straight
> into Linux through yaboot, if I want MacOS I have to enter Open
> Firmware and type `macos eval' followed by the password.

most machines won't boot yaboot directly (either they refuse to load
it, or all output is sent to OF's /dev/null so you can't interact with
it), thats what the first stage loader is for, even with no menu
entries it still takes care of restoring terminal output.  what
version of ybin are you using?  is your disk partitioned correctly?
are you allowing ybin to update your nvram settings?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/