Re: compiling 3c59x driver on PPC

furball@space.ch wrote:

> Hej Richard,
>
> > I got a PowerMac 7200 cheap on eBay, and a 3Com
> > ethernet card. The idea is to set up a router to
> > share our cable modem.
> quite the same thing that my PM 7300 is doing at
> home, also with a 3com card.
>
> the problem you have is that you're using a kernel
> that (probably) came delivered with debian; and now
> a module from (probably) another source that does
> not seem to have the same number.
>
> I simply evaded that problem by getting an entire
> kernel source and building the animal from scratch,
> including modules and all. so, you'd have to...
>
> 1. get kernel source: look through the list archives
>    on how to rsync with benh's latest 2.4.x kernel
>    (search google on "rsync benh" yields perfect results :) )

Forget that.  Just "apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.19".  This is
supposed to be a stable machine that stays up for long periods with
no mystifying crashes, and the semi-experimental 2.4 kernels are
definitely not the way to go there, never mind what all else will
have to be upgraded.

> 2. configure the kernel using 'make menuconfig' and
>    choose 'M' for the 3c59x options (and preferrably
>    disable anything like USB and stuff that you don't
>    have...)
>
> 3. built the kernel, modules and install using:
>    make dep
>    make vmlinux   (... or make vmlinuz ?)
>    make modules
>    make modules_install
>
> 4. make sure you can boot using the kernel (either
>    edit /etc/quik.conf accordingly and don't forget to
>    run quik / OR : copy it to the BootX folder, if you're
>    using that)
>
> 5. modprobe /lib/modules/blabla/where-is-it/3c59x.o

Once you've configured, built and installed the kernel and modules,
and booted the new kernel, "modprobe 3c59x" is all that is needed.
BTW, have you tried just doing that on your current system?  The
module may already be built and in your system waiting for you to
load it, it's a pretty common card.  Don't mess with all that stuff
you downloaded.  For one thing, you didn't get the compile command
right, because for sure -DKERNEL should have been in there.

> process works somewhat differently (you need some
> kernel-dontknowit package), but frankly I never
> really got it. too lazy, my fault :)

It's really much easier than rsync-ing ben's kernel and all that
would then have to be done.