Re: Kernel Drivers in PPC build: where are they?

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 04:01, Laurent de Segur wrote:
> on 9/3/01 5:48 PM, Ethan Benson at erbenson@alaska.net wrote:
>

> > the kernel is not stored on teh bootstrap partition, its stored on
> > your ext2 / partition or your ext2 /boot partition.  never on teh
> > bootstrap partition.
> >

> Are you sure? That's big news to me! I need to readjust here (and I need a
> drink too :-)

Depends if you installed The Ethan Way(tm) or the "My kernels are in HFS
Partition" way like I did.

As far as I understand, Ethan's way is better, as you can just dpkg -i
kernel .debs and they work. My installation was originally made with
LinuxPPC 2000 first, since there were no Debian CD's and I couldnt
install otherwise. So I still have my kernels on the HFS partition. The
good thing is that if things bork, I can fix some stuff from Macos if I
need to. But the pain is that I need to manually copy the kernels to the
HFS partition when I compile a new one.

I guess both ways work, but the thing described in the ybin howto and
stuff Ethan is maintaing is better and more sane. But my installation of
Debian was so strange anyway, that I am happy that it works. I dont care
much about the bootstrap stuff anyway once I have booted up.

> If what you say is correct, then I have always misunderstood this and
> probably got confused since the days of BootX where you needed to store your
> kernel in the hfs partition (where bootx was residing.) Now that you are
> saying that, I kinda understand why nowhere it was mentioned to copy the
> kernel image to the bootstrap partition. Indulge me, but please confirm
> this. Thanks,

Yes, this is the Ethan Way(tm). He can correct me with the LART stick if
I am sharing misinformation... :o)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::