Re: Kernel Drivers in PPC build: where are they?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:54:30AM -0700, Laurent de Segur wrote:

> Is the loading mechanism for kernel modules supported on the PPC platform?
> Can I compile my kernel without a specific module then compile the driver
> and store it in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/ or am I better off compiling
> as a big monolithic kernel? My problem is understanding where the kernel

modules work fine on powerpc.  (unless your taking i386 modules and
expecting them to work on powerpc)

> image stored on the bootstrap partition (vmlinux) kicks in the root
> partition and can see the drivers if it can see them at all on it.

the kernel is not stored on teh bootstrap partition, its stored on
your ext2 / partition or your ext2 /boot partition.  never on teh
bootstrap partition.

> I was looking at the PowerPC installation disk for debian. I noticed that
> there is a file in there called drivers.tar.gz. What am I supposed to do
> with this file? Should I leave it in the bootstrap dir uncompressed next to
> yaboot and vmlinux files? Decompress it and move it in the /lib/modules/ dir
> in my root partition? Puzzled.

the installation system will use it to install the kernel drivers.
you should not extract it yourself.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/