Re: X 4.1.0 Hints for french PowerBook users...

on 3/09/01 19:28, Tuomas Kuosmanen at tigert@ximian.com wrote:

> This has the effect of making []{} etc to work. However, it disables ALT
> for me (though I tried it on the finnish/swedish keymap) - thus you
> cannot Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server, nor can you use Alt for
> anything (alt-drag to move windows for example on many window managers)
>
> Tuomas

Interesting.

I'm not an expert with this keyboard configuration yet. Since xkb setting
files seem to be under-documented, I'm trying to make my way through them.
I'm trying to find a fix for this. The default X mappings for Mac keyboards
are not perfect since I think ALT is misused (the Command key should be used
instead). Therefore, I wonder if it would not be more appropriate to use the
Command key as "Alt_L" and leave the Alt key for what it is really used
under MacOS, that is access additional characters on the various keys.

--
Florent Pillet, Code Segment       Florent.Pillet@wanadoo.fr
PGP Key: D13C 6DD7 D0E2 7891 4AF9 0111 9514 4753 02F1 4D6D