Audio CDs on the iBook2

(This may be duplicated, since I posted to the linux.debian.powerpc
newsgroup; I apologise for that.) Simple question: is it at all
possible to play audio CDs on the iBook2? The information I have at
hand[1][2] suggests not, at least not without support in the kernel.

Oh, well. At least this tells me why cdparanoia does such a good job
of ripping CDs on this system. :) Is there any work under way to
simulate direct playing of audio CDs? Or is it a simple matter of
programming? :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/08/16/0002.html