Re: 2.4.9-benh0 crashes during boot with 7600 and Voodoo3

anthony@greyweasel.com (Anthony Lau) wrote in message news:<[🔎] 20010825151646.A267@greyweasel.com>...
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 02:13:16PM -0700, Lee Cremeans wrote:
> > I just rsync'd the latest benh kernel tree last night, and I'm finding
> > it has an odd problem when I try to boot my Power Mac 7600 and use my
> > "new" (just received) Voodoo3 3000 instead of /chaos/control (the
> > onboard video)...it will boot into the welcome screen, pause, then
> > drop into xmon with some sort of trap (II'm using the Mac in MacOS
> > atm, so I'll provide the trap, if wanted in a later post).
>
> 	I'm using the 2.4.9-benh0 kernel with a StarMax 4000 and a Voodoo3.
> 	Also, with the Voodoo3, your consoles will not work with X. You either
> have to boot with no video driver and no X or X without readable consoles.

One thing I've noticed is that the consoles *do* work in 2.2.19
(though with no acceleration and no X because it's through OF), but I
can't even get that far with 2.4.9-benh0 -- it either drops into xmon
(with the Voodoo3 fbdev driver in) or stops updating the sccreen after
the initial welcome screen and boots anyway. Is there a way to at
least get the consoles working without X, like in 2.2.19?

-lee