Re: Basic Questions about Debian PPC

> Hello all! My first post to the list!
> I have LinuxPPC up and running on my iMac DV, sharing with MacOS9.1.
> I have had endless problems compiling even the simplest c++ programs,
> and there seem to be things missing from my install (if i had the
> time I'd reinstall it, but i don't). I tried to install the missing
> files by downloading them as RPM packages, which LinuxPPC uses, but
> the dependencies grew exponentially and nearly made me lose my sanity.
>
> I have told you all this so you understand my motivation for posting
> this to the Debian list and not the linuxppc list: Debian has dpckg
> (if i've spelled it correctly), and thats enough to make me want to
> make the move to Debian!
>
> Would anyone be kind enough to answer these questions for me? Or at
> least refer me to another post?
>
> 1) I presume I can download Debian for PPC to burn it as an installer
> CD, and then use that to easily install Debian PPC on my computer. Am
> I right?

You can also download directly from the debian servers. You might want to
consider woody (testing), I think the latest is 3.0.13, the installer has
moved ahead quite a bit and might be preferable to potato's at this point.
Especially if you've been brave enough to have a go with LinuxPPC.

> 2) The pre-install precautions section in the DebianPPC manual
> suggest to find out a whole lot of information about my internet
> connection (gateway system, netmask, etc), but I have a cablemodem
> and my ISP offers DHCP service-- setting up my internet connection on
> LinuxPPC was literally a one-click issue. Will it be the same with
> Debian?

You just tell it DHCP, it has no problem with my DSL connect. As long as you
don't have to use PPP, everything is cool.

> 3)  I use yaboot, since my computer is a New World Rom iMac. Will i
> have to do a lot of customization, or is it a simple affair to use
> yaboot with DebianPPC? And yes, i HAVE read the section on yaboot,
> but i wanted a personal view on the subject.

yaboot is sm-o-o-th in woody on an iMac.

> 4) Currently I'm having problems with my keyboard on LinuxPPC, it is
> a spanish extended USB transparent keyboard (that's how i'd describe
> it, anyway), the underscore, ampersand and a few other keys are
> nowhere to be found (and yes, i HAVE had a go at fixing this, but
> again, i haven't had the time to do it properly). The best way i can
> phrase my question is this: Is DebianPPC used widely enough for there
> to be quick and simple, "do this, this and you're done" solutions; or
> even better: might there be no problem at all with this distro?

There have been some recent issues with keymaps, check the last month's list
archives. In woody a switch to linux keymaps (as opposed to macintosh) is in
progress which should help.

> Thanx for answering, thanx for your time: you just might be helping
> someone else on board!
>
> Paul

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |