Re: ibook2 not reading Debian PPC disk

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 04:25:14PM -0500, Brendon Colby wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For some reason I can't get any Debian PPC disks to work on my new iBook (DVD/
> CDRW). MacOS does NOT recognize the disk, neither does OF (in OF I did a
> "dir cd:\" - returned "Cannot open DIR device"). When I try to boot using:

that failed because dir cd:\ is wrong, you want dir cd:,\

if that fails too your CDs are corrupt, or your OF is broken.  if
macos can't read the first CD then your CDs are certainly corrupt.

> boot cd:,install\powermac\yaboot
>
> I get a badPtr error. I've burnt three ISOs, two d/l off of
> linuxiso.org (debian-2.2r3-ppc-1.iso) and the third was an iso I made myself
> off our local mirror. All had the same effect.
>
> The disks are readable elsewhere, such as on my Debian desktop. I've tried
> simply reading other disks and that worked just fine. It's only the PPC disks.
>
> Has anyone seen this before? Any helpful thoughts are appreciated.

sounds like the first one is not in hybrid format but instead pure
iso9660.  OF's iso9660 support is totally and unredeemingly broken.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/