Re: graph OF hangs - Please help

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:14:20PM +0200, Georg Koss wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> First of all thank's to Ethan Benson for the reply and help.
>
> Basically, I want to erase macos from my box (as complete as possible
> :-/ ) and install on each of my disks one seperate debian.

easy

> > > printenv boot-device gives:
> > > ultra1:9,\\yaboot      hd:,\\:tbxi
> >
> > this is wrong.  you will not be able to interact with yaboot's
> > interface since you need to load the first stage bootstrap installed
> > by ybin.
> >
> > please let ybin take care of boot-device, it will do it correctly.
>
> If ybin does this, will it be the right way that I have one bootstrap,
> lets say on ultra1 and a yaboot which allows booting either woody on
> ultra1 or potato on ultra0?

of course, you only need one bootstrap partition on one or the other
disks for to boot both, i recommend keeping bootstrap on ultra0 (IDE
master) since OF/yaboot tend to be less reliable on slaves.

> If so, could you explain please how to write that to yaboot.conf.

boot=/dev/hda2
timeout=50
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

# kernel on master root partition
image=/vmlinux
	device=ultra0:
	partition=3
	root=/dev/hda3
	read-only

# kernel on slave root partition
image=/vmlinux
	device=ultra1:
	partition=3
	root=/dev/hdb3
	read-only

> The other way, I could imagine is to work with two bootstraps as at

that would be unecessary and harder to deal with.

> the moment. If I go that way, how can I tell ybin from one booted HD
> about the yaboot.conf of the other debian.

see above

> More realistic I would assume ybin to do it's job on each of my
> instllations separatly. I did this and OF hangs. On ultra0 which is
> representated in the printenv .... as hd:,\\:tbxi it should be
> something like  ultra0:9,\\yaboot instead but I can't cope with this :-/.

it should NEVER be set to yaboot directly, you will not be able to
interact with yaboot if you do that.  hd: == ultra0: btw.  ybin will
set it to hd:2,\\:tbxi which is correct.

> The third idea I have would be to do ybin from the potato-CD1 :-/ .

use the ybin from sid.  and upgrade your firmware if there is any
updates available.  the ybin in woody has a bug that crashed
OpenFirmware's multibooter. (did not affect normal boots though).

you also need to reset OF to complete defaults, to do this hold down
command option p r while cold booting the machine, keep them down
until it reboots 3 times.  you must turn off OpenFirmware's security
features to do this:

setenv security-mode none (if you ever changed it).

the only other thing i could suggest is removing or zeroing out the
bootstrap partition on /dev/hdb having two bootable partitions in the
same place on different disks could be confusing OpenFirmware. (it
still doesn't deal with slaves that well in general based on the mail
i get).

> /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda1  Apple_partition_map Apple       63 @ 1    ( 31.5k)  Partition map
> /dev/hda2  Apple_Driver43 Macintosh        54 @ 64   ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda3  Apple_Driver43 Macintosh        74 @ 118  ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda4  Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh      54 @ 192  ( 27.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda5  Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh      74 @ 246  ( 37.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda6  Apple_FWDriver Macintosh       200 @ 320  (100.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda7  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh   512 @ 520  (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda8  Apple_Patches Patch Partition  512 @ 1032 (256.0k)  Unknown

get rid of this crap.

> /dev/hda9  Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap     1600 @ 1544 (800.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda10 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap        262144 @ 3144 (128.0M)  Linux swap
> /dev/hda11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /         10813440 @ 26528(  5.2G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda12 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home      5734400 @ 11078728 (2.7G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda13 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var       3196928 @ 16813128 (1.5G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda14 Apple_Free Extra               760 @ 20010056 (380.0k)  Free space
>

> /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hdb1  Apple_partition_map Apple        63 @ 1     ( 31.5k)  Partition map
> /dev/hdb2  Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         54 @ 64    ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hdb3  Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         74 @ 118   ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hdb4  Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh       54 @ 192   ( 27.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb5  Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh       74 @ 246   ( 37.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb6  Apple_FWDriver Macintosh        200 @ 320   (100.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb7  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh    512 @ 520   (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb8  Apple_Patches Patch Partition   512 @ 1032  (256.0k)  Unknown

and this crap.

> /dev/hdb9  Apple_Bootstrap Apple_Bootstrap 1600 @ 1544 (800.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb10 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap         262144 @ 3144  (128.0M)  Linux swap
> /dev/hdb11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /           12582912 @ 265288 ( 6.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hdb12 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home      10485760 @ 12848200 (5.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hdb13 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var        7987200 @ 23333960 (3.8G)  Linux native
> /dev/hdb14 Apple_Free Extra             309354 @ 31321160 (151.1M) Free space
> /dev/hdb15 Apple_HFS Ohne Titel 2      8245945 @ 31630514 (3.9G)  HFS
> /dev/hdb16 Apple_Free Extra                 21 @ 39876459 (10.5k)  Free space

if you use the `16p' type syntax to mac-fdisk for the ending block
when creating your last partition you won't have this wasted space at
the end of the disk, the number you use is the number of the last
Apple_Free partition.  see mac-fdisk-basics.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/