Re: UK iBook2 keymaps

On Tue, 2001-08-21 at 14:35, Adrian Cox wrote:
> Has anybody got any good recipes for the UK iBook2 keyboard?
>
> I'm using Ken Moffat's console keytable from:
> http:www.kenmoffat.uklinux.net/downloads
>
> Everything is fine at the console, but in X I can't get a '#'. I'm using
> X 4.1 out of unstable, and the rest of my system is from testing. I've
> had to set XkbDisable in order to get the basic letters of the keyboard
> to come out right. I now have the problem that the Command-3 combination
> that should produce '#' actually produces '3'.

I have noticed something like this also: With a powerbook keyboard, if
you press [Fn] you get the keypad emulation turned on. Now this makes
the "9" key become keypad-9 instead of the normal 9.

On a finnish/swedish keymap (those are identical), Normal 9 has ]}
behind it when you press "AltGr" and "shift-AltGr" (I think AltGr is
"Mode_switch" when we talk about X here) Now, I think Mode_switch is
bound to Fn-alt here.

This can be a problem for keymaps on laptops. However, it works as
expected on MacOS, so one solution would be to map those extra chars to
the keypad keys that overlap as well? Maybe macos does that? My
understanding is *both* alt keys produce the same keycode on the pismo
and many other apple keyboards as well, so one must have both of them
produce the same key event, right? On macos it just works

Now this cannot be related to the # key, since that key is not part of
the keypad emulation thing, but it might be interesting to someone.

Actually, as a test, this works for me:

	keycode  80 = KP_8 KP_Up bracketleft braceleft
	keycode  81 = KP_9 KP_Prior bracketright braceright

/* newbie info */
   Save that to a file, and "xmodmap file" or do a dump of your
   current keymap by "xmodmap -pke > mymap", then edit mymap on
   those lines (just need to add the two last words on those lines
   so the brackets/braces start working) and "xmodmap mymap" next
   time you start X.
/* end of newbie info */

Maybe someone could patch the X keymaps to take this into account? I am
going to look into this, but I dont grok the files yet.. :-( Though I am
planning to when I get some of the copious free time at hand :)

Anyway, the important thing is now I can use my .fi keyboard in FI mode
to write some perl/php since it was a bit hard without []{} chars before
:o)

I know another way would be to use the key-next-to-space that defaults
to the kp-enter or something as mode_switch, but I really like to use
that one as my mousebutton emulation key, since it is near the trackpad.
It is also not used as a modifier on macos, and my goal is to have less
adjusting madness between MOL and linux for keymaps. There is enough
pain learning from the US happy hacking kbd from my desktop machine to
this pismo keyboard..

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::